Friday, January 08, 2010

Living Like It Is True

Pastor,

 I thought a lot about what you said [people feel guilt and shame because they are guilty of breaking God’s laws]. I think it comes down to this really for many religious people I know. That being said, would you consider the possibility that the voice telling you you did something wrong could be part of a brain system developed over a long period of time similar to animals but more evolved for a purpose that may have nothing to do with God talking to you? I mean could you consider this as a possibly true statement given enough evidence to that effect?

Cordially, Wilbur


Wilbur,

I would consider it if you would tell me how a world that evolved to be the way it is can explain how something can be right or wrong.

A world that evolves, time and chance acting on matter, from nothing cannot, by definition lay any claims to morality. It also has no explanation for the matter in the first place.

The only person I've ever heard of who lived like he believed evolution was true is Charles Manson.

People live like Christianity is true. They don't like it, but that's the way it is. Not liking it is part of living like Christianity is true. The Bible says that until men bow the knee to Jesus, they will hate him and will live in rebellion against him. The rebellion might not be overt, thumb in the eye kind of rebellion, but not being grateful to God for the great gifts he's given is still rebellion.

I hope this helps.

No comments: